Sunday, October 7, 2007

For Violin and Computer

I've been working a lot lately in improvised music, electronic music instruments and highly interactive music. So far it's taking me down the roads of interactive musical installations, 5 years of study in central Javanese, Sundanese, Malaysian, and Cirebonese gamelan (the latter containing the majority of the improvisatory material), and installation-style electronic music improvisations. These days though I've been working more with electronic solo improv along with various other combinations of instruments. This year I'll be getting together with a saxophone player (Casey) and a violinist (Megan) on Saturday mornings to practice and really develop music out of our own ideas.

Anyway after some working with a patch I created for performance, I've started to get a hang of it's nature. I think the patch itself, in a way, replaces a score as it limits the outcome and while there are many possible outcomes, they all seem to retain a similarity. I may post a few iterations of this piece but here's the first I've recorded. As usual in these sort of things, the best versions tend to occur when I'm not recording, but I think that's one of the great things about the form. I hope you enjoy:


For Violin and Computer (Oct30th2007)- 26'22"


2 comments:

christopher jette said...

nice! should I hear the electrical pulsation in the beginning or is that a grounding issue?

christopher jette said...

still a good piece, what's new?